Mary Pompilus is the maker behind First Love Collection, a shop specializing in all-natural bath and body products. Some of the items you can find in Mary’s online shop include handmade candles, sugar scrub, soap, lip balm, and body butter for men and women. Read our interview with Mary to learn more about her craft and what she will be bringing to Maker Faire Orlando!
1. You served as a contractor for the U.S. Government in Afghanistan and started making homemade products while there. What kinds of things were you making then? Where did you find the ingredients you needed?
While in Afghanistan, the first product I made were whipped body butters (with a lot of trial and error). I researched companies on the internet that had a significant number of positive reviews, shipped internationally and offered organic/kosher products. My staple suppliers are Organic Creations, Mountain Rose Herbs and Bulk Apothecary.
2. All of the products you sell now are natural and organic. Why do you think it’s important to use natural ingredients? What is the benefit?
For starters, you aren’t applying harsh, unknown and hard to pronounce chemicals on your body. Additionally, all but a few of my ingredients are food grade. Therefore, you know your body has a natural ability to absorb the moisturizing qualities and healing properties that each ingredient provides.
3. What are your favorite products to make? Do you have a particular fragrance or ingredient you enjoy using most?
My favorite product to make are the whipped body butter! The final whipped butter is extremely comparable to real whipped cream. I always have to remind myself not to eat it! For the summer I personally will be using my Perfect Peach fragrance. It’s a very fun, crisp, clean peach fragrance.
4. What will you be sharing with Maker Faire Orlando visitors?
The entire product line will be available: whipped body butters, lip balms, candles, hand crafted soap and sugar scrubs. I’ll also have an interactive session for kids to measure, cut, wrap and decorate their own soap. The goal is to engage children on how to accurately measure dimensions and let their creative juices flow in decorating the soap for packaging.
5. Just for fun, what’s your Orlando staple? (Eatery, event, place to visit, etc.)
Cirque du Soleil! I’ve seen La Nouba at Downtown Disney on three separate occasions and another two shows in Las Vegas. Locally, Gallery on the Edge is a great art boutique in College Park with local artist’s work that I like as well.
Come see Mary and the First Love Collection at Maker Faire Orlando on September 13 & 14 at the Orlando Science Center! You can also find First Love Collection on Instagram and Facebook.